Why does my chicken always walk round clucking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    my five year old ex battery hen had been walking round clucking for the past week

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If she seems okay health-wise and it's not distressed sounding, I'd guess it's just because she wants to. The rest of my two flocks can be as quiet as church mice, but there goes Jezebel, running her mouth like she's done since she was a chick. [​IMG]

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My hens only go around "clucking" when they have chicks. Otherwise it's "bawking" and "screeking" or the occaisional alarm call when they see something they don't like. Maybe your hen wants to be a mommy.

4. IowaHeritage

IowaHeritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    She has either " gone Broody " , is thinking about it or just really really likes the sound of her own voice.

5. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a "heritage" (her parents have been 30 years removed from the hatchery) Buff Orpington and she "talks" all the time. I mean there is constant chatter from her, she is only quiet when she's laying, eating or sleeping. She's not broody nor alarmed, just chatty. I love it.

6. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    she sounds like what she did last year when she was broody 2 years ago and if you open the shed door she starts clucking the only time she stops in when she is resting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by