Why does my chicken tuck her tail?

Durb99

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2017
This is Debbie, my roughly 10 week old pullet. Sometimes I catch her "tucking" her tail feathers. It is very odd as she is the only one in the flock who does it often, although I have caught one other doing it a few times, but not as bad as she does. She doesn't seem to be in fear or distress when doing it, and can straighten/raise it out if she wants. Does she just find it comfortable to let them droop? I touched the area and did not notice any bumps and she did not act like she was in pain, but I'm not sure what I'm doing/looking for so maybe something is wrong physically but I didn't catch it. She acts like a normal chicken, and has plenty of personality so I don't think she is sick.

Another thing she does is make this odd sound, almost like shes trying to sing, or elongate her peep? Do chickens "sing"? She'll do it randomly without a clear cause.

Debbie's Weird Tail.jpg

Pullets make that noise when they are transferring into adult noises its 100% normal all my pullets have done it.rhod island reds tend to do this I have noticed. I don't know why mabey the breed? She also could be resting her tail like oldhenlikesdogs said

Back
Top Bottom