Why does my drake ignore his ducks, is he just young? sorry lol

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cat1994, Sep 19, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So I bought a pair of call ducks, a gray drake and blue fawn duck. They are both the same age not quite a year old. I introduced them to my white duck that is almost two years old. My white duck was a lil bossy and wouldn’t let either of them swim in the water bowl when she was in there swimming, but now they all swim together and seem fine with each other. But I have noticed that both the ducks show that they except the drake (lay flat and show they are ready for hen to breed them) and yet he continues to ignore them almost like he doesn’t notice they are ladies at all, sometimes he does bob his head up and down fast at them when they are waiting for him to breed them, but he never makes a move. I was thinking maybe he is just young and he will grow into having ducks, but I just can’t remember any of my other drakes ignoring ducks like he does when they were young. Has anyone else ever had a drake ignore his ducks all together or will my boy grow up and out of this?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    By dark do you mean drake? [​IMG]

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Omg [​IMG] sorry I’m so embarrassed [​IMG] I didn’t even notice [​IMG] man sometimes I just really hate having ADD and Dyslexia [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My drake did the same thing. They are about 7, 8 months old and just got into breeding now. He will get the hang of it soon. Hes just probably a bit young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by