Why does my Drake keep attacking me?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Vixk1, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Vixk1

Vixk1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Cambridgeshire (UK)
    Hi All,

1 year ago I took on two male Aylesbury ducklings and 4 chickens, they all seems to get along well. Over the last couple of weeks mainly just one of the ducks attacks me whenever I go into the garden. They run over to me and will knipp my hands and leggs (Really painful). They dont go anywhere near my partner and If I walk down the garden they stay right by my side, it was funny to begin with but now im concerned and have blood blisters up my arm and leg.

Why are they doing this?
    Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Vicki

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    During the breeding season drakes go insane with hormones.
    How often was he handled as a younger duck?
    He has no lady friends, I take it?

Watch him with your chickens. I had a drake who was dead set on mating my chickens, violently, and attacking them, dragging them into the woods, grabbing them by the chests and swinging them about.
    He moved to an all duck farm. I was relieved, as I thought he was about to go to the all duck section of my freezer.

3. Once drakes get an idea in their heads they can't seem to stop . . . even though my drake has 6 duck girlfriends, and loves them all, he persists in admiring one of the female geese . . . he'll chase her around till she gets tired of it and turns on him. A hopeless romance, and annoying for the poor goose. Since the goose went broody though, he's sad. She doesn't even let him chase her any more . . . and if he comes near the eggs -- it's no holds barred and feathers fly. Doesn't seem to discourage him much though . . . although he does leave the nest alone . . .

I'd bet one of your drakes has picked you for his love interest! I know you can pin geese to teach them manners, but not sure about drakes as mine doesn't care about people.

4. m.kitchengirl

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    You can pin him. The success of it depends on a lot of factors.
    If you take him & hold him down until he stops fighting, then pick him up & parade him around it can help to re-establish you as the dominant creature, or give him the idea he should go after an easier target.
    My drake responded well to this where I was concerned, but nothing deterred him from pestering my chickens.
    Good luck.

5. Vixk1

Vixk1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Cambridgeshire (UK)
    Thanks so much for your replies.

No they don't have any ladies.

I have had them since duckling and I can handle them

As well as me they have now started attacking (Trying to mate) one of my chickens, I am so upset as I think my only option is to find them a new home. I know I could seperate them but this is far from ideal. I am fully prepared to put in lots of hard work to try to stop them, but its just not fare on my chickens.

Any ideas?

6. Vixk1

Vixk1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Cambridgeshire (UK)
    When will the mating season end? Will they calm down afterwards?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sadly enough there are several more months before the 'mating season' ends. Understand that they are fully capable of injuring or killing your chickens. Either relocating them or consigning them to an enclosed pen for the duration are the only sure solutions.

8. m.kitchengirl

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    VixK1:
    I am so sorry for you. I faced this exact issue earlier this year.
    I tried everything - separating my drake from the flock, letting the ducks & chickens range at different times...
    After 3 months of working around my drake I had this epiphany - I was not happy, my chickens were not happy, even the ducks weren't happy.
    It was a very tough place to get to, but there was no way I could justify the disruption in my yard. He was relentless, and everything I tried to stop the behavior was unsuccessful. In fact, his aggression became worse as time went on.

I found him a home at a duck farm, and he s doing wonderfully. His ladies started laying the day after he left. Maybe a coincidence, but I think he stressed them out as much as he stressed me out.
    Re-homing an animal is not something I take lightly. I have never done it before, and believe I am in this for life with my ducks. It was, however the best thing for everyone. Even him, in the end.
    I have an all girl flock, and that is how I intend to keep it. My yard is peaceful, my ducks are happy, and my chickens are safe.

Again, I am not telling you what you should do, only giving you a brief synopsis of my experience, so you know that you are not the only one who has gone through this. Maybe it will help you decide, or at least feel a little better about your choices.

Good luck. I was heart broken over losing my drake. I speak with his new owner often, and I know he is in good hands. I even get to go visit.

9. Vixk1

Vixk1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Cambridgeshire (UK)
    I think the best thing I could do is to find them a home. I feel really sad about it but don't know what else I can do.

Does anyone know if they will stop attacking once the seasons have changed?

10. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    We have a drake, a pekin, whom has turned into a real jerk the last couple of months lmao Im assuming its because of mating season. He's not in his own enclosure after trying to mate with our muscovy drake and out gander, he got kicked out and went into the chicken coop....then started picking fights with the rooster. So he's in his own pen right now. I am honestly hoping he chills the heck out after mating season is done, if not he's going to have to find a new home. He's a real stress factor in the daily routine lmao I let him out today to spend some time with us and after making many attempts at getting into the other duck pen he gave up and went after our boxer {{{sigh}}} the poor dog didn't know what to do with the duck on the back of him lmao he just laid there looking at me like "can you please get him off now"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by