Why does my duck do this with his bill ... chattering????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Halizabeth, May 26, 2018.

1. Halizabeth

Halizabeth Chirping

Apr 17, 2018

what is this for... is he too hot??? is he just playing with his bill?? He does not have anyting in his bill to play with.... that I know of.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    He’s painting,sorta how a dog would when it is hot or wore out.So yes he is out,mine do it during summer a lot.

Halizabeth likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

To hot...Do they have enough shade and water to swim in and drink?..Cold water is best..

4. Halizabeth

Halizabeth Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    they do have plenty of shade... it is hot today. I gave them some ice water and fresh water in their little bathing tub. Thank you so much!!!

Miss Lydia and chickens really like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

A frozen margarine container of peas and watermelon in a bowl cools them down too on hot days also ..Plus they have fun...

6. house.of.ducks

house.of.ducks Songster

May 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    He’s too hot. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water and somewhere to swim where the water isn’t too warm. I give my ducks save-a-chuck electrolyte and vitamin supplements in one of their waterers when it’s super hot I t because it helps to keep them hydrated.

jmoschner, Halizabeth and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Halizabeth

Halizabeth Chirping

Apr 17, 2018
    It was prob 90 today.... it's 87 now and it feels less hot than earlier. Honestly I couldn't stay out. Hubby is out with them building their pen and they are doing better with the ice water and refilled tub. I will put their pool in the shade tomorrow when I fill it. Thanks for all the help. Most of our yard is shade but in this heat it's not enough I see that now.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

My Buffs pant but not my Muscovies or my Runners must be just certain breeds get hotter than others. From reading so many posts about Pekins they really do get over heated easily. Putting their pool in the shade should help.

Halizabeth likes this.
  9. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Thanks for that tip! I gave my ducks and chickens some frozen peas a bit ago. They enjoyed them.

chickens really likes this.
  10. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    I watched mine a bit this afternoon, the girls were not panting but the drake was just a bit. Not as evident as in the video in this thread though. He has darker colors and is bigger. I wonder if that is why? Plus, the only shade they have is from buildings and what I created through the set up - no natural shade.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: