1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my duck have feathers growing out of his feet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peepsandquacks, Sep 24, 2011.

1. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    I first thought it was dry skin. So I went to pull it off, but it didn't come off. I looked closer and there are 3 pin feathers growing out of his right foot!, right above his ankle.

Ummm....ok...

2. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Pictures please.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    yes! pictures please!! I've heard of extremely rare naked-neck ducks (probably a mutation) but never feather legged... I must see them [​IMG]

4. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    what breed are they? my welsh harlequin drakes also have feathers growing out of their legs. not the foot but the legs!!

5. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Rouen. He hasn't been the nicest, so I'm nt sure if I can get a photo. But they are 3 white feathers coming in right above the ankle. They look like vary pin feathers, with a small amount of fluff. He is 6 months.

Maybe that's why he's snotty lol

6. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    yeah thats where my ducks feathers are growing too, and there is 3 on each leg?? I am gonna keep an eye out for anyone who knows the answer as to why they have feathers there too

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Most likely a rare mutation????

Now if you can just breed two together and create more feather legged ducks, that would be interesting. [​IMG]

8. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I don't know what they are exactly...though I have heard of ducks that do sometimes grow feathers on their feet...I think its some kind of genetic thing or even a slight defect...I remember someone somewhere once had a similar situation...but I just can't for the life of me remember what the answer was >.<

9. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Neat. I keep picturing a duck with cochin-like feather-y feet. I don't know how well it would be able to swim, but it sure would be interesting to see.
    I would love to see pictures.

10. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:x2 that would be so cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by