Why does my duck keep changing nest spots!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PetDuck, Jan 15, 2013.

1. PetDuck

PetDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Cleveland, MS
    We boxed 1/3 of her cage off with wood and put her heat lamp in it with some hay and that's her nest.
    But she keep changing her mind on where she wants her nest to be and she lays eggs in one spot today and another tomarrow.
    She used to only lay in her nest and now she either lays there, next to it, out in her cage, or in the yard.
    It's not really a big problem but I was just wondering why she does that.
    Is there anything I can do or is it just her!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why do you have a heat lamp on her? she maybe too hot, after all they have down under their feathers.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    X 2 with Miss Lydia. She doesn't need a heat lamp to lay. She really doesn't need a heat lamp period if she's old enough to lay. I have a heat lamp in my coop but only because I have 6 week old ducklings.

4. PetDuck

Jun 11, 2012
    Cleveland, MS
    No it is not hot, as a matter of fact I don't think it would be any different if I took it out in terms of temp.
    I just put it in there for the cold winter nights when shes in her cage.
    I'm sorry to change the subject but the freezing rain just started here and It's kind of heavy.
    Will she be okay I leave her out?

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    She's a duck, they are able to withstand temps well below freezing as long as there is shelter and protection from wind/rain/snow. Again, she doesn't need a heat lamp. If it isn't changing the temp then it's just wasting electricity. My adults are fine even running around outside all day in the rain. The 6 wk olds are out for most of the day too with temps in the 20s.

Are you taking the egg every day? If so, she is probably moving lay spots because she thinks it isn't safe since her egg keeps disappearing.

6. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

my ducks go outside and play in the snow all day and i live in canada so they are good with no heat lamps ... mine go in water when there is snow out but mine are heavy ducks though to .. my ducks never lay'ed yet im a first time duck owner im just waiting for warm weather and they should start laying hopefully

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does she have a shelter to get into PetDuck? if she does then she'll be fine. Mine can go inside anytime they want to but choose to stay out in rain, snow, freezing rain doesn't seem to bother them. And like jdyw said if your taking her egg daily then she is looking for a better place to lay her egg, and if she just started laying it takes them a while to catch on to where the best place is. some will even lay in the pool, i have found a few there.

8. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    ducks don't need heat. As a matter of fact I'll go as far to say providing heat is BAD for them. My ducks like Miss L's can get out of any weather they wish. Yet they are outside from the time I open the door until I close it. Rain, sleet, freezing rain, -20 F temps, swimming with small icebergs in their pond.... none of it matters...as they are ducks and built for it. Please do your girl a favor and lose the heat lamp.

9. PetDuck

Jun 11, 2012
    Cleveland, MS
    Okay I will take the heat lamp out but this site is what told me to put it in there in the first place so...
    She does have a shelter but she doesn't really seem to use it that much for some reason.
    Poor baby have drops of frozen water on her poor little tail yesterday.
    The ice storm really hit hard here.
    But as always
    Thanks,
    PetDuck

10. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Amen! Easter Egg Hunt every day! They rarely lay in the nest box. I collect and they change. I am thinking they take turns because everyday, when I find the eggs there are many eggs. I collect for a few days and then they move there spot. Makes it difficult for caretakers when we go away :p Add an egg sucking dog that can smell them out and that is a problem. Luckily they lay everyday before 9 am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by