Why does my duck quack twice, then stick out his neck?

Neeznoodle

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Our pet duck has been doing something for a while, and I finally got it on video. He begins by pulling his head close to his body, then he quacks twice (his tail always goes up as he quacks). Next, he sticks his head out, low and close to the ground, while walking forward.

Here is a link to the video showing his behavior:

Would someone kindly share with me why he does this?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
!

My drakes did that right before they started breeding the girls. Has he been breeding?

Oh my goodness! He must be courting us, then, because he's an only duck. He's about 5-6 months old, so does that sound about right for maturity?

Well, you're the only ones around for him to romance, and his hormones don't seem to make a distinction! Ducks don't seem to be that choosy when their biological imperatives kick in.
wink.png

How cute! He likes you!

One of the things that he has been doing lately is going crazy for our shoes. By that, I mean our shoes seem to bring out aggression in him. He wants to peck our shoes and will move in a sneaky way (he thinks) to get close enough to peck them. If he's not stopped, he gets aggressive in his pecking of the shoes.

I don't let him do this, and I tell my kids not to let him, but they sometimes forget. Would this have anything to do with courting behaviors?

Other wise, he is a very calm and sweet duck. He doesn't attack us or peck at us, just our shoes.

Quote:
It's another part of his becoming sexually active, my pet duck is almost 4 months and he does the same thing to me, when he does I push him away and if he comes at my feet again I pick him up and hold him like a baby on his back, when he stops kicking I let him down and he usually just waddles away. It hurts if I'm barefoot.

LOL, I'm new to the "duck world"...but I found this video too cute and funny!!! I must have watched it about 6-7 times!!
big_smile.png
Thanks for sharing, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

My drakes do that if I surprise them in the pool. They fold up and then swim with the same weird neck thing. I heard it's a mating thing but it ONLY happens when I startle them. I have seen lots of videos where it IS a mating thing. Moral of the story... Ducks make very little sense, they were designed by someone with a goofy sense of humor and I enjoy every last minute.

Back
Top Bottom