Why does my hen keep going broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VioletHen, Mar 11, 2017.

1. VioletHen

VioletHen Just Hatched

Jan 21, 2017
    Hi. I have an Araucana who is 18 months old. She lost her best friend last year (to old age), and went broody not long after. I tried her with fertile eggs, which I think she overheated (they didn't hatch), so I bought her 8 one-day-old purebred chicks, which she loved. She was completely devoted to them for about 8-9 weeks, and then decided she was over it. They're now 13 weeks old and thriving. She has suddenly gone broody again (very stubbornly broody). Why is she doing this? She doesn't really make friends with the other hens, although they don't attack each other or anything like that. Why does she keep going broody? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JuliaWesterbeek

JuliaWesterbeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    It's in her nature! She left her chicks at 8-9 weeks old because she felt they were ready to see the world by the own (depending on the hen, some hens treat their chickens like hatchling forever, other leave them at 5 weeks old). There is not really anything you can do..... (at least what i know)

1 person likes this.
  3. VioletHen

VioletHen Just Hatched

Jan 21, 2017
    Thanks JuliaWesterbeek

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Unfortunately you have a Broody Hen.....I have 3 Broody Hens and I finally let them all set eggs...I have one with two 8 week old Chicks that are back in the coop..She still cuddles them....I have another two in my Garage one with 7 , 3 week old Chicks and another setting eggs and due the end of March.....

I feel your pain.....;)......

Best wishes!

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by