Why does my incubator SMELL!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jbourget, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Ok so i have a full incubator and i candled at a week and a half and removed all the unfertile eggs, there were 4. The rest are fertile and i cant understand why the incubator stinks so bad when i open it once a day........any ideas????? its a new incubator and they have been going for about 2 and a half weeks so cant figure why it smells.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sounds like you might have a rotten egg in there.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Sniff each egg. The culprit will be terribly obvious. Candling alone is not enough. If you smell something bad, follow your nose.

4. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    well yeah i figured that but they all look like they are developing fine.....will it hurt theother eggs if there is a rotten one...guess i just have to deal with the awful STINK

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You need to do a sniff test very carefully of the eggs in there....sounds like you've got a rotten egg which can explode and ruin the rest of the eggs.

6. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    thanks guys i will sniff them tonight, hopefully i dont pass out jeez i can even smell it thru the little air hole

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    when was the last time you cleaned it, or is it new, you might have a bad egg or bacteria in the 'bator

8. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    incubator is new

9. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yeah I had two, and I barely have a sense of smell so my 2 year old noticed it and then found the stinker for me. Right b4 lockdown another went bad...I definitely smelled that one. Its pretty obvious and handle it very carefully.

10. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    It was a rotten goose egg, phewww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by