1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my outlet have to be evil

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 29, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I woke up this morning and checked my bators, the homemade one was running and looks good the other one was at 63 freaking F.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The light was off, so I checked the modem and power pack plugged into the same power surge protecter thing and they were on so I thought shoot its my bator, but when I bumped the socket thing it turned back on. I have lose outlets plugs can fall out of them , Any one have any ideas. most every one in my house is like that so its not like I can move it and be fine. If these eggs hatch it will be a miricle this is the 3rd temp issue.[​IMG]

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Try spreading the prongs on the bator wire to make it fit tighter.

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sounds like the outlet is worn out, this can be dangerous. A loose connection can arc and cause a fire. You should replace the outlet, they are not expensive only a buck or two.

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Oh ok thank you. I will try that , Im tempted to duct tape them to the socket , [​IMG]

And Ill have my owner replace them then because sevral do have dark marks around the edges its kinda scary I only use the ones I have to .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok I have my bator back up to 100.7
    I checked 3 light tan eggs from my 11 that are due in about a week and all 3 had babies moveing in them , I will save candleing the others and the other 2 batches for tonight at the earliest and most likey not till there due for candleing again anyways.[​IMG]

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

In addition to replacing the outlets, you should make sure that any outlet in the kitchen, bathroom, basement, or garage has a GFCI outlet or is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker or "upstream" outlet. I believe this is code, and is probably required for a rental property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by