Why Does my pullet pant so much?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Jul 2, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have three BR and three RIR. Two of the rocks have a tendency to pant, one more than the other. For instance, tonight I went to check on them and close their pop door. It was in the low to mid 70s and not humid. I have a small fan in the coop and she was panting. I have noticed that she will be fine during the day if it isn't too war. They roost together and they really group up on the roost and that is when she seems to start panting.

I guess my main question is "Should I be concerned?". I don't want her to be stressed or anything. She seems to sleep fine and is in every other way normal.

Feedback?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    chickens cannot sweat.....so they PANT to cool down (some more than others)

As long as she eats, drinks and poops and acts fine..there is no concern.....
    Also if the panting is combined with, nasal drainage, lots of coughing, sneezing, wheezing or rattles in the chest or always extending neck out and gasping for air....that would be the only reason to be concerned.

3. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    There is no doubt at all that there is nothing wrong with her respiratory system. I am close to her daily so there is no doubt. I know that chickens don't sweat, I guess I am just a little concerned as to why the same pullet pants while the others don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by