Why does my rabbit pee in his feed bowl?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Its just annoying! I havent changed his feed or anything, he still gets the same amount and all, but for the past two months he has been peeing in his food dish . With food STILL IN IT. SOmetimes almost a full bowl! He has a big enough cage for sure, its 2 ft wide and 4 ft long. WHat gives?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'd try a raised bowl (the kind that attaches to the side of his cage? Or something like they have at the Bass Equipment website....so he cannot get in there. In addition, does he have a litter box?

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:+1

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    While it may seem contradictory to us rabbits pee and poop where there food is. One of the tricks to litter training a rabbit is to put hay over the litter box. That's why raised feeders and hay lofts are pretty much mandatory.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    My girl does the same thing when SHE desides the food or water corner is now HER pee corner. She will go weeks using the corner she formerly chose that I placed her bunny litter box in and then up and change her mind ignoring the litter box and using the new location of her choosing.

I will then clean things out and move her box to the new location and then she'll ignore the box in new corner and pee in the old box location.

Very frustrating for sure. I have her in a two level ferret nation cage that does not have deep floors for bedding.

What I will do then is put her food dish that I put a little oatmeal and black oiled sunflower seeds (BOSS) in the corner I don't want her peeing in and that stops her because she LOVES her oatmeal and BOSS.

And that's what I will be doing tonight because she's doing it again.

Good luck OP with your bunny.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks yall! out of all 4 of my bunnies, he ha sthe biggest cage and he is the only one that does this! i have two that are litter trained, and the other two just dont want to follow the rules!

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Is this a riddle? Do I get a prize?

8. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    My bunnies poop in their food and water dishes, but only when theres (thankfully) nothing in 'em. They get get twice a day and generally clear out the rest of the water overnight.
    Then they sleep in it. [​IMG] Perfectly good little box and they gotta sleep IN the waterdish.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Seriuosly don't put the dishes in the corners. Buy water bottles and dishes that hang on the side. Rabbit's can be trained to use the litter boxes and that may be a clue to your problem. Course they still chew your Prada shoes.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would get him a raised dish..
    and put a litter box in the spot that hes peeing in.. the cage will be MUCH easier to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by