1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my Red Golden Pheasant scream?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by BackyardDove, Apr 13, 2016.

1. BackyardDove

BackyardDove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    I have this two year old Red Golden Pheasant who screams. It's a god awful shriek that he does during the mating season, which is April - May. His scream consists of about four short, one second shrieks before he stops. Anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes later, he'll do it again. Now, occasionally, he'll do a short, pretty songbird type call. Sometimes, he'll be in the middle of his shrieking, he'll suddenly switch over to his songbird call. He did this a handful of times when he was a year old, but this year he's been doing it a lot more. However, he still screams most of the time.

Why is he doing this? My mom once owned Red Goldens and she says they never made the sound he did, but that she also didn't have a female, and I do. Is this screaming ever going to stop? Is this him going through vocal puberty and his voice is just taking a while to mature?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just as a rooster crows to lay claim to his territory and flock, your pheasant is saying, "this is my land and my hen stay away or be prepared to fight me." Male calling may also serve to attract females.

3. BackyardDove

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas
    Well, yes, I realize that. I'm not asking why he's making sounds, I'm asking why he's doing a blood curtailing scream and if he's going to eventually start only calling with his songbird call, instead of his screaming. I've never heard from anybody of Red Golden's screaming, and I can't find anything online about it either.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My golden cocks always vocalized 'screaming' during the breeding season. Perhaps your bird was more quiet last year because he was a juvenile. The quieter calls are reserved for the hens in his flock not potential opponents.

5. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    +1 sourland, nothing to add, sourlands said it all.

6. BackyardDove

Oct 8, 2014
    Central Texas

Oh no, he was plenty loud. I just don't understand why he has a screaming call and a songbird-type call. Is the songbird call what you're referring to as being solely for his hens?

Also, do all fancy pheasants scream like this? I was thinking of getting a pair of Lady Amherst, but I don't want another screaming bird around here. Thank you!

7. 007Sean

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Yes, the Amherst will make the same sounds, calls.

8. 007Sean

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Just be glad you don't have Great Argus, look them up on u-tube...you find out what loud, is!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by