Why does my Roo always look wet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by R.M. Hens, Jul 6, 2011.

1. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    He always looks like he just rolled around in a puddle or something. He's not dirty just looks wet and shiny all the time. [​IMG]
    Ruben will be 4 months old next week. Is this normal?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Never heard of this... what breed is he?
    pic?

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Does he look "wet," or just "shiny?" Roos are always shiny.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Do all of his feathers appear this way, or is it maybe just his saddle feathers?

5. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    This is Ruben about a month ago (sorry, you can't see his shine in the picture). He is a RIR. And yes it is pretty much just his saddle feathers. Just very shiny, wet looking, but not actually wet. My dad thought I sprayed him with the hose. The older and bigger he gets, the shinier he gets. My hens are not like this at all.

[​IMG]

6. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Oh yes, you can see the difference in his feathers. Some shine, some don't. Now, his shine is double what you see in the picture. Of course, his tail feathers have always been green and shiny.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

R.M. Hens :

Oh yes, you can see the difference in his feathers. Some shine, some don't. Now, his shine is double what you see in the picture. Of course, his tail feathers have always been green and shiny.

Most roosters shine. They always look flashier than hens. It`s just natures way of camoflging hens while brooding. Come to think of it, most species have flashier males than females. Not a sexist statement, just fact. Think about it.......Pop​

8. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Makes alot of sense. This is my first time raising chickens. Learning new things everyday. Thanks.

9. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have 2 RIR roos and my wife said they look wet. My reply? Yeah they do look good don't they. It's the back and saddle.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    He is definitely much prettier than the pullets. I can't wait until he gets older and more rooster like. He's got me kind of nervous because I have not heard a crow and he is overpowered by my older hens. He's getting better as he gets bigger though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by