1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why does my rooster do that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christinah3335, Oct 15, 2016.

1. christinah3335

christinah3335 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    I have a rooster that dips his head repeatedly when he sees me either in the window or when I go outside. He doesn't attack me or anything like that but follows me very slowly.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

When he does that to you chase him off....He is sizing you up...Your either a threat or not one...Never give him the upper hand..Never turn your back to him...Chase him off every single time you need to be out..If you wait for him to make the first move he usually will be in fight mode...

Good luck...Be tough...

Cheers!

3. christinah3335

Mar 27, 2016
    He is really a very sweet rooster eats out of my hand and everything. I am not afraid of him at all he only has messed with my 14 year old. He does the whole drop down wing thing to her but hasn't attacked her.

4. chickens really

I am sorry....I am warning you to stop treating him as a pet...That Drop wing thing is a threat and a warning...He will attack your daughter and a Rooster can do damage....I have fought off a Rooster and they do not ever back down...Their job is to protect the hens and breed....He is not a pet to take his behaviour so lightly....

Cheers!

5. christinah3335

Mar 27, 2016
    I don't treat him as a pet I feed them bread him and the other chickens. They take it from my hand all if them do. I am the only one that does it

6. christinah3335

Mar 27, 2016
    He doesn't do the drop wing thing to me but I have told her to chase him off when he does that to her

7. chickens really

That is all I was meaning....Just be careful...A Cockerel who is showing signs of dominance needs to be watched...No matter how many people that reply and tell you that he can be reformed? Not possible...If He ever attacks they will continue and with more force each time...I am not being mean...Just realistic about the dangers with Roosters.....He is a liability...If he attacked a friend, Child, or old person...We all like our Birds..Just some are better off in the soup pot....

Cheers!

8. christinah3335

Mar 27, 2016
    I dealt with another rooster that would attack me in this brood I have now until I got him with my foot and never had that problem again from him. I sold him and 2 others because I had too many roosters 6 in total.

9. chickens really

Okay...I was attacked in my Coop by my last Rooster...I mean really attacked.....It was a Blur.....I saw the pop door as I hit him to the floor when he was on my head attacking me......I hate to say it, but I kicked him out the pop door as quickly as I could, slammed it so he was locked in the run.....He was gone by the weekend.....

Cheers!

10. christinah3335

Mar 27, 2016
    Yeah that sounds bad I have never had that happen to me but will be aware

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by