Why does my rooster go crazy when I come close to the coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Baruch, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Baruch

Baruch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    We bought 2 hens 6 baby chicks and 1 rooster today. Every time I go near the coop the rooster will go nuts he'll flop, jump, scream and hurt the others while he's doing this. We just got them today and my siblings are very exited but we can't go near cause of this please help me out

2. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    He may just be a little stressed out because of the move right now. But a rooster's "job" is protecting his hens. In my opinion, he seems a little scared. It is just his first day so keep food and water out for him and in day or two he will probably be okay.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    He's just doing his job, protecting his hens from you.

4. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I was told to always approach/enter the coop with food & the rooster will quickly associate you with food & they don't attack their food. Has worked great for me!!

5. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Hmmmm...I always enter with food and am attacked every time. My rooster even tries to attack me through the fence! I would just let him settle in. But he may turn out to be aggressive like mine, so be very careful. It's no fun being attacked by your rooster. Like dawg53 said: he's going to protect his hens. It's his natural instinct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by