1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my rooster have a black spot on his comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Platy04, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Platy04

Platy04 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    A while ago I noticed a black spot on my rooster's comb. My rooster appears fine, he's acting happy, drinking, and eating. Should I worry about his comb or not?

[​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    A while ago I noticed a black spot on my rooster's comb.  My rooster appears fine, he's acting happy, drinking, and eating.  Should I worry about his comb or not?

Frost bite? Mites/fleas? Scabs from fighting? Most likely not much is wrong, but you need to ascertain what is wrong to be on the safe side.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Looks to me dried blood or some frost bite. My roosters get this too, but are always okay. Put some petroleum jelly on the comb and the blood should come off in the next day or two. Or, if it's frostbite the jelly will help seal out the cold preventing more frostbite.

4. Platy04

Platy04 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    Thank you!
    How low would the temperature have to be for chickens to get frostbite?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like peck marks to me also.

6. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop

It's really not the temperature that's the problem, it's more of the ventilation of the coop. Sure, if its sub zero temperatures then you'll have some, but frostbite can also happen if it's moist and cold in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by