why does my silkie have a flat top

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by max101, May 16, 2009.

1. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    poach my 9 month old hen has a bad lookin pomm pom. Is she a cross silkie or just a different type.[​IMG]
    My other silkies fry and omellete has big pomms and can hardly see so I have to feed them seperately to make sure they have enough to eat . They are 5 months old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scamble my roo loves Poach though He wont touch the Fry or Omellete at all. Maybe the hair do. lol. Im in Australia so next spring I was hoping to let them have babies but I just dunno about poaches pomm pom.

2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    She looks like a pure Silkie. Her quality is just not as good as the other two. The other two may have vaulted skulls allowing for larger pom-poms.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    You already have several answers on your other thread in the Pictures and Stories of My Chickens area of the forum.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Breeders disagree as to whether a vaulted skull produces a larger crest. I know quite a number of breeders who pay no attention to vaulted skulls when selecting which birds to keep, and I know a few who select against it.

5. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I love your names!!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by