Why does my Silkie sleep alone on the floor?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cwoodie78, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Hi, I have a 6 chicks mixed breed all now 15 weeks old.They have been together from a day old and seem to get along just fine.Ive noticed 1 out of my 2 Silkies chooses to sleep alone on the floor whilst the other 5 sleep up on top of their nesting boxes. I feel so bad for it being alone as they all used to cuddle up together.Is there anything I could do? I wondered if it was because she couldn't see properly to jump up? But do you trim Silkies hair? I'm a newbie to keeping chickens so any help or advice I would be lost grateful for.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Silkies cannot fly. That can sometimes create issues with them getting up on roosts or in the nests. Also each one is an individual. You have one that does get up there so it is physically possible. I don't know how that one gets up there, if she uses a ramp or hops form one spot to another. Just because it is physically possible doesn't mean they will, they have to want to. You cannot control "want to". Many Silkies are very happy to spend every night of their life sleeping on the coop floor. Not all chickens huddle that close on the roosts either, some really like to spread out.

Don't feel guilty because she chooses to sleep on the coop floor. If she ever wants to move up she will.

Cwoodie78 and Susan12 like this.
  3. Susan12

Susan12 Songster

Jun 23, 2018
    Washington pa
    Mine sleep on the floor too.

Cwoodie78 likes this.
  4. Shorty22366

Shorty22366 Songster

Jan 1, 2018
    Hobgood, North Carolina
    My silkies sleep on coop floor. I have my nesting boxes low so they get in them to lay.

Cwoodie78 likes this.
  5. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Thankyou I may have to lower my nesting boxes

Shorty22366 likes this.
  6. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Ah this makes me feel better, I was worried incase she was getting bullied or something.I will alter my nesting boxes etc thankyou for your reply

sourland and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    You might also consider adding an other perch, perhaps only a foot high. But, if you do that, be warned that her next logical step would be to sleep in the nest boxes if they are higher than that perch. Often, with animals, it's a matter of "try it and see what happens". They never read the rule book.

sourland, Cwoodie78 and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  8. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Yes I will do,thankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: