1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my SLWyandotte have a SINGLE comb?!? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sparrow, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    These are pictures of my Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet, Daphne. She is now about 5 weeks old, and she definantly has a single comb. My other SLW pullet I got from the same hatchery(C.M. Estes) has a regular rose comb, but Daphne has always had a perfect little single comb. I just think it's the wierdest thing! Does this happen commonly? Any ideas? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^She is the one I'm holding, proof she is a Wyandotte! At least that's what she seems to be... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^A close up pic of her actual comb. You can see how thin it is and it has all the little points that my single combed chicks' combs have.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they often do. My Lorelei who just passed away had a floppy single comb. Its in their ancestry so pops up from time to time.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I was wondering if that might be the case. Her little comb is already starting to flop over to the side. lol At least I can tell the two girls apart!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In this pic you can plainly see my Lorelei's comb. She was a dear, sweet girl we just lost. Some keep a few single combed Wyandottes to insure fertility, I understand, because of fertility issues associated with the rose combed breeds.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by