1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my turkey keep growing wings? **PICS ADDED**

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Cara, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I have a Bourbon Red tom that hatched with three wings. He had the two normal wings and a third on his breast. I thought the extra would eventually fall off or be pulled off, but it is still very much there (he's about eight months old). It has a blood supply, it isn't just feathers. About a month ago he started sprouting a fourth wing, this time mid-way between his regular wing and his neck. It also looks like it has a blood supply, it has a pink fleshy part. Will he stop growing new wings? It's getting a little creepy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Cool! I'd love to see that. Would you post a picture? Sorry, I have no answer for your question.

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Sure i'll try to get some. I might have to get someone to restrain him [​IMG]

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a defect. But please post some pics.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Interesting

[​IMG]

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Are you sure these aren't just beards? Do they actually have bones, joints, feathers or, are they just a fleshy knob sprouting hairs?

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    that sounds very very unusual. certainly a genetic mutation. does it bother him much? if it doesn't i wouldn't worry about it too much. if it starts to bother him and he seems to be in pain i think the best thing to do would be to cull him [​IMG]

from the sound of it he's a regular turkey at heart. we would love to see some pics! [​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Wow I want to see a picture too. Maybe I will subscribe to this post to see what you get. I don't have an answer so for that I am sorry, but you have peaked my interest.[​IMG]

9. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i want to see a pic too this sounds interesting grats you are 1st topic ive subscribed to lol

10. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    me too, pics please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by