1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my white rock have a messy but

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jesseschickens, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    As far as i know Tilly hasnt laid and egg for a while. She goes about her usaul and plays in the snow eats some food and scratch grain oyster shell is avalible and drinks water. She acts normal she sings for her sisters while they lay there egg.I have read some other posts about this but and it all said it was nothing serios but I still dont know how to fix the runny poo.[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Have you checked her for worms? Also, not laying eggs could be a result of a heavy worm infestation or something more serious like egg peritonitis.
    It could also be something as simple as her butt fluff being extra fluffy and getting in the way if she doesn't squat to poop just right.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have an older Brahma hen who most probably has some chronic condition in her egg ducts that has caused her to quit laying and to have constant runny poo. I love her dearly, so she's honorably "retired". But her crusty rear does require some occasional maintenance to restore her fluff.

I prepare a wash tub with warm children's bubble bath, and while grasping her firmly, I hang her crusty butt over the tub and splash water until the crust softens. Then I gently wash it off with a wash cloth and towel dry. If it's cold, I throw in a free blow-dry, which most chickens adore, believe it or not! Even my boys get this spa treatment to "tune up" their rears, and they love getting blasted with warm air.

No rule against chickens looking their best, and I imagine getting that load off their rears has to make them feel better, too!

4. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    If she had worms wouldnt be acting right and wouldnt it be a problem for all the hens? She acts like her messy butt isnt even there.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Maybe you are out of TP

6. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    HAHA thats really funny!!!!![​IMG] Last time i checked chickens didnt use toliet paper (hoping thats what you ment:rolleyes:)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. The Tinman

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    If you give it to them they will use it.

8. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Did you mean toilet paper???? if you did they would use it by eating it!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Well,if I knew how to work those smilies,I would put:Funny Post!

10. The Tinman

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Yes I mean toilet paper. Your right they would eat it. If it is snowing where you are today and your girls are stuck inside you should give them some toys to play with so they don`t get bored. I put some stuff animals in with mine. They have a blast with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by