Why does my young hen squat down?

Grammie Has Chickens

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
Ontario Canada
Good morning, all! Of my 4 young hens, the one who started laying eggs last week, seems to startle easily and does this strange squat down with her wings slightly spread. Is she scared of me now? None of the others do this. They are generally quite accepting of me walking around in their coop, cleaning, etc. They don't really like to be picked up, but once I do, they are fairly tolerant. So I'm not sure why Paula is acting this way. Is she OK?

CaliFarmsAR

Crowing
Apr 26, 2019
Yes she is fine, she has most likely been mated by your rooster! That’s how I can tell if my hens start to lay!

Grammie Has Chickens

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
Ontario Canada
Oh, LOL! Newbie here so I've not witnessed this behavior before. I don't have any roosters, just my 4 girls. Thanks for answering. I obviously need to do a lot more reading about these interesting birds. I've had indoor pet birds (budgies, cockatiel) for many years, but I guess they all have their own behaviors / mannerisms.

ILoveBabySilkies

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
WPB, FL
Good morning, all! Of my 4 young hens, the one who started laying eggs last week, seems to startle easily and does this strange squat down with her wings slightly spread. Is she scared of me now? None of the others do this. They are generally quite accepting of me walking around in their coop, cleaning, etc. They don't really like to be picked up, but once I do, they are fairly tolerant. So I'm not sure why Paula is acting this way. Is she OK?
This is because she has started laying eggs and is now sexually mature she sees you as the dominant one and will submissively squat in the mating position.

Top Bottom