1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why Does She Do That!!!!???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickaroo!, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I have a Jack Russell that flips out and runs and jumps like a complete nut when my chickens are out free ranging, yet if the vultures are in our yard, she pays them no mind!!

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Our dog goes crazy when my chickens are free ranging. Here he is running to the door trying to see if the chickens are out -

[​IMG]

One time he ran out the door and chased them around the yard.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG]

We had a JRT, Ehud, who wouldn't chase/worry about the things we wanted him to (like squirrels, rats, etc.) but got ALL worked up over the chickens - especially the free rangers. My guess was either A) he was too lazy to hunt and therefore chose domesticated livestock as his quiery or B) he thought the chickens were part of his pack and wanted to be in charge of them, too.

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My little beagle mix herds my chickens around the yard. Who would've known she was a working dog. She's pretty good at it too. The girls have been free ranging on our fenced acre for about a week now. For the first several days she was very adamant that they stay in certain areas and would herd them back to where she thought they should be if they ran amok. Now she lets them range just about everywhere, but still feels the need to herd them around 2-3 times a day. She has never once tried to catch one and will stay about 2-3 feet behind them. One time one of my BRs turn around and met her face to face, when my dog moved closer to sniff the chicken gave her a peck on the nose! Now, I sometimes see her laying in the middle of the yard with the chickens grazing all around her.

5. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Guess then she's just being a JR!

Chickenboy -- your dog is adorable! What kind is it?

6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    He is a 7 year old bichon poodle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by