Why does she have swollen feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewChickyMommy, Mar 14, 2012.

1. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    what causes this? I don't think it's bumblefoot because there is noting on the bottom of her feet. There are purple spots on one foot and they are soft feeling. Her toes kind of curl when she tries to walk or stand... Plus she has a hard mass on the back of her head

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'd like to see the bottoms of her feet as well - but it sure looks like extensive bumblefoot to me. If it is, you may be to the point where you need to attempt to do the surgery and get all you can AND give her penicillin IM 1/2cc X4 days. Before you do anything though, I'd like to hear another opinion or two and see photos of the bottoms... the bump on the head..I'm not sure what that is!
    Here are a couple of good bumblefoot sites:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bumblefoot-how-to-treat-your-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics

http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2009/09/bumblefoot-chicken.html

3. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Here is a picture of the bottom of her feet. Is it contagious? I think she might have pneumonia too? She's sneezing and making weird noises through her nostrils? and she's breathing so heavily... I don't want to cull her but would that be the most humane thing? I've been giving her vitamins and antibiotics, plus she's serperated from the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hmmm.. well, the only thing I can see that might indicate BF is in the bottom picture - and it's not the foot you're trying to show - it's the other foot. That little spot. Press around and see if you feel some little hard "bumps" - if so, those would be the telltale "kernels", if not, I don't know what to tell you. You could do some research using key words "swelling, feet" or something like that, and see what else this could be.

What kind of antibiotics are you giving her?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    She does not have any tiny bumps on her feet :[ and I am not sure. Thank you for helping! I might call a vet and see if they have any ideas in the morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by