1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does she look like this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alicexx, Nov 19, 2016.

1. alicexx

alicexx Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]

She has seemed to have lost weight since we had a fox attack on her friend, and now walks around like this a lot and very tense. Sometimes with her mouth open.
    I've tried everything and yesterday wormed with KILVERM, and this morning only her poo had gross long white worms in it ( dead) [​IMG] so I have wormed again today to make sure they are gone.

Could this be why she looks so uncomfortable?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    What is the season where you live? (it's a good idea to include where you live under your avatar to help members give advice). Holding wings out and opened beaks are part of their cooling mechanism - but if its not hot where you live, then I'm not sure.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with CTken. Or she may be very uncomfortable from passing such a load of worms. I would not repeat the worming so soon. She may still pass more from the first worming.

Wormers are hard on the system - give her a chance to recover. Does the wormer product say when to repeat treatment, if needed?

4. alicexx

alicexx Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Queensland, Australia
    @[@]CTKen[/@]
    I'm In Australia, so it's our spring/summer. That's so good to know as it has been hot the last few days!
    I'll try figure out how to add my location, I'm new here xx

@drumstick diva
    The back of the wormed is pretty vauge, but I thought as i had done it around mid day the day before, to do it properly and take away all other water too. (It's an add in water wormer, with no hold on eggs) I won't leave it out again tomorrow.

I'm really hoping with all the worms gone she gets back to her chubby self and stops this stressed behaviour.

Thankyou both so much!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by