Why does stinky food taste so good?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Sep 13, 2010.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Dried squid, dried fish, oily fish, durian fruit...

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I don't think I have had any of that, I know durian is supposed to smell like dirty feet. [​IMG]

I like onions and garlic. I know in most countries the idea of cheese is disgusting and when you think about it, some cheese does stink. lol

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I'm kinda iffy on fish sometimes, but I'd go for some Fried squid and Durian

Imp- I'm hungry right now- just dropped breakfast on the floor, and with 3 cats there is no way I'm eating it. Guess the chickens will be getting a good dinner tonight.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mmm... stinky cheeses, onions, and garlic. Apparently I can't smell or taste garlic well because my SO's coworkers said his lunches smelled like garlic.... we barely taste it...

Durian does kind of smell like feet, but the taste is sooo good.

I'm reminded of stinky foods b/c my coworkers parents are here to visit for 4 months or something like that and they brought tasty stinky goodies back from home to share with the lab. The food room is going to smell interesting. LOL

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Lets have some Kimchee with the dried squid and fish

Steve

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    ...parmesan, romano, asiago, blue cheese, gorgonzola...dunno how it happens that a person develops a taste for vomity and/or moldy tasting cheeses, but I love *all* those and more. [​IMG]

Fishy-tasting fish?...negative. Onions?...nope.

Garlic?...can't get enough! [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I love garlic, onions, stinky cheeses and a host of "odd" things. I'm a pretty picky eater, usually. Mostly because I very rarely eat meat of any sort.

There's just something special about strong smelling foods that I like! I'll have to see about finding some durian!

8. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Bring on the Kimchee, Thai chilies in Fish Sauce, Stilton, all stinky cheese....mmm. Well, not all.. I can't take Limburger.

What is Durian? A fruit?

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ugh! [​IMG] don't like most of what is listed. The cheeses and opnion are the exception. Can't STAND garlic.

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Silkie, you amaze me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by