Why does this coop say it will house 12 - 15 chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cindyanne1, May 11, 2009.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    This coop being advertised at My Pet Chicken:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Wooden_Chicken_Coops-Craftsman_Coop_12_15_chickens_-P451.aspx

says it will hold 12 - 15 chickens and it is 6' X 4'. That's the same dimensions as the one my husband built (and was also told it would house 12 to 15 chickens.)

If it's too small for that many birds, why do they advertise it so? It doesn't help the argument of those of us whose husbands say they don't really need to build a bigger coop. [​IMG]

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Probably because it has more square feet per bird (or the same?) as commercial operations. That's not much of an argument though... but it helps them sell more pens!

"Oh, look! My pet chicken has a coop which can hold 12 to 15 chickens for $150! The next best price is XXXX for $300"

People will often just look at how many chickens it can hold, not necessarily the square footage.

3. birdlovin gal

birdlovin gal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Western MA
    I think 12-15 bantams would even be mean. Can't imagine big chickens in there.

4. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    I am building a coop with a similar design, but better built and larger. I plan on housing 8 chickens MAX.

[​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well, it WILL hold them. Mathematically. It has space for them to all be inside at once [​IMG]

And they'd still be better off than industrial chickens, who have that amount of square footage but don't also get to go outside.

People selling coops will always quote you the maximum mathematically possible chicken population, it's just the way capitalism works. Our job as consumers is to ignore what the manufacturers say and do what WE think is best [​IMG]

JMHO,

Pat

6. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Quote:Nice! Hope you'll post the finished coop.

7. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Nice pro framing-really nice job. Will

8. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I wouldn't put more than 6 chickens in there!!!

BTW, great looking coop Will Hunt For Food - keep us posted on your progress!
    [​IMG]

9. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    I have this coop now. It will hold 6 chickens. I started using it as my brooder/coop about 5 weeks ago. I have 22 chicks inside that age from 2 1/2 weeks to 5 weeks old. They are alright now but I will reduce this flock by 10 next week and then again 2 weeks later by 6 more.

The run, that is sold as an accessory, with under-coop panels and a 4' x 5' run area is a total of 44 sq ft. It's an additional $225.00. This is a fine SMALL coop of excellent quality, but 6 hens is all you get unless you want stressed out chickens, or you are going to free range them all day and just let them sleep in there.

Plan on 6 and you will end up with 8 or 10 and that's a bit crowded.

10. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Well, it has more than a 6x8 floor. I bought 8 chickens thinking I would have a mortality or 2.

All the siding is done, it just needs to go up. I stained it before I installed it so i could get the edges. It will be board and batten siding. The nest box area on the right will be open to the chickens. I will hang a feeder under there, and fill it from the outside. There will be 3 nest boxes on the left. i have that done, just no updated pictures.

I still have to build the run. [​IMG] I want the birds OUT of my garage, ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by