Why does this egg look funny?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jacca5, Apr 15, 2008.

1. jacca5

jacca5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Okay my one of my hens lays an egg everyday that looks like this. I thought maybe in time she would stop. They always have cracks in them and they are always pointed on both ends? Is it something to do with what I feed her or what. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am guessing that she is a "new layer". Is that true? How old is she? How long has she been laying?

3. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Well I have had her two months and she has been laying the whole time. I was told when I got her she was a year and a half old.

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Are you giving your hens oyster shell?

5. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Yeah they always have it in their coop. my h usband built an auto feeder for it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a two year old hen who is laying those "Frankenstein eggs" every once in awhile. Its not a calcium issue, I dont believe, but what it is, I'm not exactly sure. Her whites are also watery and the yolks dont hold together sometimes, either. Some diseases cause this, but those are not the cause of my own hen's weird eggs, either, because the flock has never had any respiratory diseases. Its still a mystery to me and I wish I could shed some light on it for you.

7. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    They aren't sick that I know of. However I wouldn't know what to look for. But they all seem to be in good health. They come running when they see me and none are acting strange. They all have clear eyes and I haven't noticed any thing different about them.

8. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a frizzled hen that laid eggs like that! I always knew it was Nellie's egg! I never had any problem hatching them out. I just decided thats the way she is! Wish I could be of more help! [​IMG]

9. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Well I will try hatching one last time I just put the other hen's eggs in there and left her's out. But now that there is probably nothing wrong I'll try. Maybe that is just the way she is. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by