Why does this happem?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Why do some chicks grow completely but never hatch?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Did you check for shrink wrapping, It happens when the humidity is to low, it has happened to me a few times.[​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok thanks! How do i 'check' for it?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Crack open a dead egg. Shrink wrapping usually occurs after a pip with very low humidity... The membrane will be tight around the baby chick.. It will also be white or a nasty looking gray color. It will be hard and dry...

Genetics sometimes take over once fully developed... If nature doesn't want the chick, it dies...

5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I had that happen, too, when I opened the lid during a hatch. I waited another 24 hours or so from the time the egg (which had been rockin' and rollin' all morning) stopped, and then I cracked it open. The chick was perfectly formed, but had died.

It's got something to do with the drop in humidity when the chicks need it most. Humidity keeps the shell soft enough for them to get thru it, I think, so when the humidity drops and the shell hardens, they never hatch. When people refer to "lockdown" on their incubators, it means literally DO NOT OPEN THE LID. DO NOT. Just don't do it. Even if one or two hatch and are in there looking bored, just keep them there. I won't make that mistake again!

I'm guessing that's what mabeyjoey is referring to ... if you open the egg and see the perfectly-formed chick that didn't make it, it means the egg got too dry.

6. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:Yep. There is really no reason to open the incubator anyway... They can live 3 days without food or water, so they will be fine for a day in the incubator... [​IMG]

7. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Thanks, Chris! I promise that is advice it took only ONE TIME to learn. [​IMG]

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It happens... If you do have to open the incubator for an emergency situation, you can get a spray bottle filled with HOT water and mist the bator before closing it back up.. It has worked for me in my times of need..

9. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by