Why does Yellow Mustard help burns?

bietsch624

Songster
15 Years
Nov 28, 2008
I read somewhere to put yellow mustard on kitchen burns. In the past month, I've gotten buned on hot pans straight out of the oven and both times slathered them in yellow mustard. The pain goes away almost immediately and the burn doesn't blister..I wish I had known this growing up! Any one have any ideas?!?!

Honey is great for burns and other wounds, too. A burn research unit found it was a good topical to keep wounds from sticking to dressings while they heal.

Please do not use honey on any type of even slightly open wounds.... even with burns I would be concerned. lots of sugar which leads to necrosis and infection (not in that order) Honey is great for a lot of things! My cousin is actually a bee keeper; I would not use it on any open wounds or anything worse than a sunburn....

We use Manuka honey on surgery wounds in the wildlife center at the vet school all the time. The anti-bacterial properties are amazing. If you have real nasty wounds though, I'd suggest a doctor first!

We use Manuka honey on surgery wounds in the wildlife center at the vet school all the time. The anti-bacterial properties are amazing. If you have real nasty wounds though, I'd suggest a doctor first!

I researched the honey treatment a couple years ago when a friend had foal with difficult wounds from a spill on macadam. There has actually been much research using honey dressings on human burn victims with great success. In my own experience using a brown sugar + iodine pack on proud flesh (on horses) is better than any standard medication I've ever used. That "natural remedy" was actually the suggestion of a vet.

Back
Top Bottom