1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why doesn't my chick grow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by javi21602, Mar 19, 2016.

1. javi21602

javi21602 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2016
    I bought hatched these chick on the same day but one doesn't grow and I don't know y can u help me?

2. javi21602

Feb 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's called "failure to thrive syndrome". For whatever reason, whether genetics or a glitch during incubation, a chick will fail to grow. Many of these have pitifully short lives, usually fighting to stay alive in spite of being very sick. Others simply lag behind in size, eventually reaching maturity. However, being of a smaller size than their peers, they get picked off by predators or picked on by their flock mates.

Occasionally, the little fellow makes it through the first year just fine and has a normal life. I hope that's what's in store for your little chick.

4. javi21602

Feb 8, 2016
    Yeah some of the other chicks pick on it but there are like 2 or 3 that surround it so they don't peck on him

5. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I had one of my chicks hatch small. Does failure to thrive happen in chicks only or can it happen to embryos too?

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

There are a lot of reasons for poor embryonic growth. You may find that the chick grows normally now hatched...or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by