Why doesn't my chick have a tail?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LLCoyote, Mar 20, 2015.

1. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    So I bought a bunch of pullets from the store and my one Jersey giant has a nice tail the other doesn't really have a tail at all but they're both feathering out pretty well.

[​IMG]
    There is the one with the tail
    [​IMG]
    Everyone seems to be getting along really well. Even when I give treats there isn't a lot of bullying. Everyone else is growing their tails (though my Australorps are a week younger than the giants and orpingtons). Please excuse my children... they're in the awkward middle school phase xD Can anyone tell me what is going on?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Can't tell from the pics but a little rooster may have gotten in with the pullets. Many hatchery birds are bred so they can be feather sexed. The little roosters tails and wings grow slower and the pullets feather out quicker. Pullets wings will almost reach the tail by 10 days and the little roos wings will be a third shorter.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    While true that males often feather out slower than females it isn't actually due to breeding for feather sexing. Feather sex breeding is entirely separate from this developmental difference in the two genders.

1 person likes this.
  5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sorry I was misinformed, that's what I was told by a hatchery employee several years ago.

6. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This is a better picture of her/him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by