Why doesn't my cockerel crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pineapple416, Jan 3, 2017.

1. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    I have a 7 month old Silkie cockerel who still doesn't crow, and I know for sure he is a cockerel. He is very submissive and we have another dominant rooster that lives with him that crows often. He is at the bottom of the pecking order, and is one of the sweetest birds in our flock. I want to use him in my breeding program in the spring, so I was wondering why he is still showing no signs of crowing or mating? Is this common in Silkie roosters?
    Thank you and happy new year everyone!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A dominant rooster can actually cause depressed testosterone levels in a subordinate. Every time he thinks about crowing, he probably gets his butt kicked. He is a little young, but will man up if you provide him his own pen with his own ladies.

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You've pretty much already answered your own question.

"we have another dominant rooster that lives with him that crows often. He is at the bottom of the pecking order" There's your answer.

It's pretty normal for younger, less dominant cockerels not to crow.

4. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Thanks sourland and azygous, I thought this might be the reason as well but just wanted sone more opinions on it.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with the above.

I have a pen with two silkie cockerel, about the age of your boy. They're penned adjacent to my dominant rooster and his little group of hens. The silkies just got brave enough to crow. They've realized Eric (dominant rooster) can posture and threaten, but there is a sturdy fence so they're safe. Now they're crowing all the blessed time......

When you're ready to breed, pull him to a breeding pen and I'm thinking he'll happily "man up" for your hens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by