Why doesn't my rooster care about the hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LeafLover, Jun 20, 2011.

1. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    I had one...and it guarded "his girls" with fierce determination. Well, he passed and we have another roo who could care less about the ladies. Why doesn't he take charge?

Idk what kind he is ( i forgot ) but here's a blurry pic of the fluffy boy.
    [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    looks like a Barred Cochin.....
    How long ago did your other roo pass...and was this the only other roo with that group?

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    How old is he, and how long has he been with your girls? It could be a few months before he gains confidence and dominance over an established flock. It took my roo about 4 months before he stepped up to the plate after being added to my flock.

He is quite handsome BTW!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Oh, sorry I would've sworn I'd already replied!

mljohnson05, My other one passed a couple of months ago ( maybe 2 or 3 ago). They where both part of the group from the very beginning. Here is the roo that died
    [​IMG]

crawfordmama, thank you! And, I'm not sure on age. If I'm correct we got him around Christmas of last year. ( Same as the rest of the "adults")

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Is he getting beaten up by the hens or is he just ignoring them?

Mr. Fluffy may require more time to fit into his fluffy shoes and be a protector, or he may never at all. All roosters are different. (Though in my opinion, I prefer the lazy ones because they don't typically go attacking people-as opposed to the protective ones). [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I thought my roo was ignoring my hens too well except for *servicing* them

till a coon tried to get into my coop my son watched as the roo went flying at the coon spurs a flyin

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    It really stinks losing a great roo. I would give your boy some more time to adjust to his new role. Since he wasn't the dominant roo before, he has a bit to learn. It will also help when your girls recognize him as dominant.

8. clbdownunder

clbdownunder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    He is very beautiful! I agree give him some time, hopefully, he will be a good roo for you, laid back, but protective, since he does look like a cochin. My cochins are very laid back and easy going.

9. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I'm sure someone would be very willing to trade your docile roo for one of their agressive ones! Especially if someone with kids want's a roo.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So what exactly is this fella' doing (or not doing) with the flock that you'd like to see change??
    I guess I'm wondering what you're comparing him to when you mention your previous roo guarded his flock with "fierce determination."
    I agree that his breed is probably a lot lower key personality-wise than your old roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by