Why Doesn't My Silkie Chicken Lay an Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chictaw, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Chictaw

Chictaw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Silver Springs, NV
    I have a 1 yr and 9 month old silkie that has not layed an egg. Can someone tell me how old a silkie has to be to start laying. She is healthy and lives in the house with us. She wants to live in her cage most of the time. She would rather be in it than come out. Is she to confined? She doesn't like it outside very long either. I have two toy poodles she follows around. Maybe she thinks she is a dog and doesn't have to lay. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Are you sure she is a she?

3. Frostee

Frostee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Australia
    Maybe post a pic if u can?

4. Chictaw

Jan 2, 2013
    Silver Springs, NV
    I am pretty sure. She has a very small cone and we can't even find her waddles they are very small. We had a little roo with her for awhile, and he crowed in the morning. He also tried to mount her and she went ballistic. She wanted no part of him. We got rid of him, and she has been happy ever since. She has been raised in the house so she doesn't even act like a chicken. She even copy's the dogs when they bark. She is a very strange little girl. Very small, only about 11/2 lbs. She is very docile. [​IMG] And very lovable. She just wants you to hold her all the time if she comes out her cage.

5. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I know the larger the breed, the longer it takes for them to lay but she's well old enuff. I've never heard of something like this. Have u taken her to the vet? Maybe she's egg bound? Good luck n maybe u have the coolest chicken/ poodle ever! Lol

6. Chictaw

Jan 2, 2013
    Silver Springs, NV
    [​IMG] Here is a picture of my little girl. I make her little chicken diapers. She has many colors and prints.

1 person likes this.
  7. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Now that's a cute lil hen! Ironically my poodle has many clothes too!! Lmao

8. Chictaw

Jan 2, 2013
    Silver Springs, NV
    I posted a picture, but can anyone tell me why she hasn't layed yet. How old does a silkie have to be to lay?

9. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Could she be laying somewhere else? A hidden nest? Or could she have gone broody? Maybe that's why she wants to be in her cage all the time?
    I'm asking instead of telling because I'm still fairly new, and don't have silkies so can't speak from experience. But these are ideas that might apply
    to your situation.

Just looked it up on google and silkies start laying between 7 and 9 months.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  10. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Looks like a Silkie hen all right! Silkies don't lay very many eggs in the first place. Sometimes a hen will never lay an egg for her entire life. Give her time, and wait until the days are longer--chickens prefer to see 14 hours of daylight before starting up laying again in the spring. Maybe because she's an indoor chicken she doesn't get enough daylight to tell her that it's spring and she can begin laying.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by