Why don't factory farms use Khaki Campbell ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SarahMay, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SarahMay

SarahMay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    Why don't "factory farms or large scale farms" use Khaki Campbell ducks? (Since they lay more than Chickens)
    Are they more expensive to feed?
    Require a different diet?
    Don't produce well when caged?
    Does law require them to have water to swim in?
    Are people afraid to try duck eggs so the factory farms don't want to try it?
    Farmers receive no subsidies or contract / initial set up of factory farms don't exist with ducks?
    (Hope you can understand what I meant by that.)
    What do you think?

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think I read or heard somewhere that farmers would love to use ducks for commercial egg production, but one of the problems is that the ducks' feet don't do well in the cages they use. I think, also, there are other issues with keeping full-grown ducks for commercial egg production.

3. SarahMay

Dec 29, 2014
    Thank You for the response,

After doing some digging since I last posted, I've also just read about feed efficiency of chickens over ducks.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm relieved to hear that ducks aren't used in factory farming of eggs, it's cruel and in humane enough they do it to chickens and turkey's .

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Farmers do not use animals that produce something that does not sell. So ducks will probably never be used in commercial farming for eggs.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. SarahMay

Dec 29, 2014
    Yea I like ducks more, they are so cute. So yea I guess the main reason would be that people would think eating duck eggs is "odd" and might choose not to buy it. Maybe the health fanatics would like them, but most people wouldn't pay the extra dime for them so it's just not worth it to the factory farms.

7. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah I know have you seen some of those photos? They make me cry!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not only cry but makes me so angry that we as a society allow this stuff to go on.

1 person likes this.
  9. collingwood

Same! Near where I live they were trying to get a caged chicken factory but it was cancelled because there was a huge protest! Half the new years parade was all a huge protest against the terrible treatment of chickens!

10. collingwood

[​IMG] I made this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by