Why dont more people have ducks as house pets?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peepsandquacks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Who would have throught they are so lovey! Donald had his first 24hrs as a house duck (hes 9 weeks), and he has been great! He doesnt chew on things, doesnt scratch things, doesnt poop or vomit all over the house (like my previous dog did)....they are the perfect pet!!

Anytime I am sitting on the couch, he will jump up, climb on my lap, stretch out his neck and burry it into me then fall asleep. He follows me everywhere and doesnt make much noise (inless I leave his sight then he does his drake quack intill he finds me...not loud at all). He also will never have fleas or ticks! Why dont more people have ducks as house pets?!

*in love*

2. chadwick757

chadwick757 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Probably the same reasons they don't have goats, pigs, and other livestock as pets!

3. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    what reasons are those? I know a couple people who have pigs and/or mini horses as pets.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Lol...glad you are enjoying your house duck [​IMG] I think it takes a lot of effort to keep a chicken or duck indoors...it means changing a diaper...didn't even love it with my five kids growing up...No way I wanna do it for a duck !! I also have the belief that barnyard animals belong in the barnyard...no offense to anyone who does it differently...just my preference.I keep them inside during brooding(and sometimes longer than I want) but after that...it's outside.

5. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Are you saying he's litter-box trained or something? How does he not poop all over the house? I have never heard of a bird that could control where it pooped. Please explain? I'd love to keep a duck, but wouldn't want to clean poop from inside my house.

6. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    haha. I had to change diapers with my first child for 6 years (she has a disability) and I am still changin y 3 yr old, so one more diaper isnt a huge deal for me. In fact, its WAAAAAAY less nasty then my kids diapers IMO.

He wears diapers, no litter boxes or anything although it would be nice! I change him every 3-4 hours.

7. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Because I'm not zoned for them here in the city, but it sounds like fun. My sheep herding instructor wants to have some ducks for the AKC herding course, so I may soon have a chance to watch some hatch out [​IMG]

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I think with ducks, they imprint so powerfully on humans that many would be concerned about leaving them for any length of time. At least as a part-time pet with others outside, they don't panic when we go to the store or away for a the holidays.

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:So glad you are enjoying him! All the more power to ya hon [​IMG] I kinda enjoy that when I don't wanna be around them...I don't have to (which so far is ...never).The dog is bad enough....and the three cats...ALWAYS underfoot! A duck in my house would get stepped on [​IMG] But I did have DH put in a window seat with a view to the backyard so I can see all my birds whenever I want even when it's cold out [​IMG]

10. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    i am a gemologist, and I work from home, so being away from him isnt a huge deal. So far I have been putting him in the bathroom when I am doing something and he cant come with. He seems to do OK with it for short (2-3hrs at a time) periods. quacks for 5 min then chills out.

I think it would be cool to bring him on vacation with me! LOL. Call me wierd! (My mom already did when she came over and saw him diapered)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by