Why dont my hens lay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nubiansrus, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Hello everyone,

Wanted to see if I can get some advice. Me and a friend who lives down the road got chickens at the same time. Her group is laying perfect she gets 8 eggs a day with about 10 hens. I get... often none a day... lol. I have one about 8 month old black asterlorp [sp?] that lays about every other day/ She has a sister hen that never lays an egg, same age. Then I have about 6 month old mix hens... they were called easter eggers on here. One day a few weeks ago I got 4 eggs... figured they were from them... since there are four of them... got 4 one day, then one the next day from them, then nothing. Then I have 7 4 month old hens, one americana and 3 brown leg horns, and to giant cochins. Nothing from them yet but I know there a bit young. Is there something Im doing wrong? I have a set up very similar to my friends. The chickens has a decent sized coop, with a wood house with flipped over dog cages to lay in... someone told us this worked well for them, were they wrong and thats the problem? We feed what the feed store said to give, a layer feed. Any suggestions? Is my friend jut lucky and hers layed early? What do yall think?

[Editted to add yes we are sure these birds are hens lol]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Sounds like you're doing everything right... is there a chance they might be laying them somewhere where you're not seeing them?
    [​IMG]

3. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Sounds like you're doing everything right... is there a chance they might be laying them somewhere where you're not seeing them?
    [​IMG]

They do wander over to the flowers and love to pick at the bugs. Well the older hens do, the two asterlorps so I thought this possible with those. But they only go between their pen and the garden, most of the rest of our land is just dirt. I dont see them else where and I looked all through the garden. I havent found anything. The one time the younger EE hens laid, they laid in the older hens coop. Hmm. Makes me wonder if there a big pile of eggs somewhere lol. But where?​

4. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had that happen-she told 2 friends, then they told two friends, then they told two friends, and before i knew it i had this wopper of a nest behind and sort of under a hay bale! They're sneaky! Don't underestimate the power of a broody!! She'll con the rest of the girls to drop an egg and add to her clutch of potential fuzzy butts!!

5. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    omelette'smom :

I had that happen-she told 2 friends, then they told two friends, then they told two friends, and before i knew it i had this wopper of a nest behind and sort of under a hay bale! They're sneaky! Don't underestimate the power of a broody!! She'll con the rest of the girls to drop an egg and add to her clutch of potential fuzzy butts!!

LOL

But like today... who seems to be the lead and biggest hen laid in her normal spot. Sometimes I get eggs from her in the coop. Hmm. So yall think I have a pile somewhere even though the younger hens I dont ever see leave the coop? Now Im curious.​

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Do you or your friend have lights on?

7. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    Not lights just for the chickens. They are right outside, and could be getting porch light at either house. Mine is usually not on, not sure about hers. Why you ask?

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Your ladies may just be late bloomers.

9. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    Quote:But why the eggs once? Three of them laid once then never again lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by