Why dont people want pet roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenslave2, Apr 14, 2016.

1. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    I was thinking when i sold my other rooster, why do people not have pet rosters? I've heard of pet hens but what about pet roosters?

Being a vegeterian, i dont kill my ckickens, and i also want the people who buy my chickens not to kill them. i rarely breed but when i do it's usually only one or two eggs and almost always half of them are roosters.

i would love to sell them as pets. i would also love to toilet train and harness train my roosters so they would be more likely to end up as pets and not dinner. the problem is i have no idea how to train them and i dont really have the time either, so i was just wondering why people dont have pet roosters.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    well roosters can get mean, as in very mean. And one really does not need more than one rooster with a flock. And you really can't toilet train them, so if you keep them in the house, you need to diaper them... or clean up the mess.

I love my flock, but not as pets. Some people do.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You aren't being true to the nature of the rooster. They don't want to be pets or walk around on a harness. If you get half roosters out of every hatch that's normal, don't hatch if you can't handle people eating your roosters. There unfortunately aren't enough homes for all the roosters of the world.

2 people like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you have a rooster, all your eggs are potential lives...not sure where you draw the line.
    Also when keeping multiple males they generally will fight, sometimes fatally.

Well, there ya go!

5. Jaromo99

Jaromo99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Not everyone wants roosters. They can get loud, aggressive, overly messy, and can be crappy birds all around. There also isn't the possibility of eggs from them unless a person keeps hens too. I love my boys, but you can't expect other people to too.

6. UrbanChicksMKE

UrbanChicksMKE Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Legally we can't have one; village ordinance. Otherwise I would keep ours.

7. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    aggressive and noisy while giving you NO eggs.

which is the reason why it's illegal to own one in all the cities around here

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    As others have said they just don't make good pets.
    Noisy. Hard to train.
    Personally I would never want a pet rooster.
    Just like I don't want a pet cat.
    They're just not for me.
    God put these birds on the earth for us to eat.
    If you don't want people taking and eating your excess roosters I suggest you just don't ask what their plans are.
    I'll be honest if it was me I would take it and not tell you I was going to eat it.
    Like I said that's what god put them on earth for.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

9. Mysterious

Mysterious Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I have heard many stories about roosters, and many of them are good. I personally believe that if you have chickens expect a rooster. Most cities ban them because their loud. It's sad that they do, but if you truly want chickens get them sexed or older. If I had enough room I would take in roosters but since guinea fowl are violent with them most of the time, I can't [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I hate to kill them when they are so nice. I hope I won't have to if I get chickens. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It could be the risk of them becoming mean,and having to kill them,or the crowing.And some roosters are more "Obnoxious" then others....

I spend relentless time with roosters from the moment I know their boys,not only do I baby them,I make sure they know i'm the boss....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by