Why don't they scratch around??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FLchook, Jul 21, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I have 6 young hens, and none of them scratch around for bugs and such. Is it because they were raised by me, instead of a mamma??

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Try throwing down some scratch in an area with a little exposed dirt. That might get them going. I would not worry too much, they are chickens, it's in their being to scratch. If they don't right now, they will eventually.

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:x2!

4. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    Mine did not scratch untill I started throwing grass clippings in the run. They LOVE it when I do that.

5. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    They get to free range during the day. Lots for them to scratch around in. My prior flock (completely wiped out by a dog. [​IMG]) was so good at turning over the leaves and dirt to catch the bugs. Didn't have fleas when those girls were around.... These ones just arent that productive [​IMG]

These are my first chooks that I have raised, instead of a mamma. Just wondering if that had anything to do with it.

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I don't think so, mine were hand raised as well and scratch around. Maybe since they free range they don't have to scratch to find interesting things, and have never felt the need. Maybe toss some scratch in the coop or run when they are in there, if they are interested enough they'll check it out.

7. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Try crowching down and while they're near, scratch/paw the dirt or leaves with your index finger and pretend your picking up something with your thumb and index finger, then scratch again, repeat. I did this with my young hens and they immediately came to see what I was picking and scratching at then they got the idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by