Why dows my 16gb sd say 6h of video and only gives 2h.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by beauh, Apr 19, 2012.

1. beauh

beauh Chillin' With My Peeps

I brought a SD card for $45 and it says 6h and only gives 2 hs. (not naming brands or anything)
    [​IMG]

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    that is due to the bitrate

if you have a say for EG. a 1080p Full HD 2 Hour Film that is a high 1080x900 pixel image at high quiality and will fill the whole 16GB Card

where as if you had a 720p HD Film that is 720x576 pixel [still hd but lower bitrate] you may be able to get say 3-4 hours on 16GB

Manufacturers are allowed to state in the specs the highes amount of data possible rather then an avarage

so the highest amount of data is SD Format and will be about 6 hours but who uses SD now adays

i never use hours as a mark

i always use SD Card Data Size its a much better guide line

although i like to compress my 1080p films so to make them a data size of 1and halfGB

that will then give me aprox 10 films at 2 hours each on 16GB

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it depends on the quality of the videos. I know somebody will have a better definition.
    But I'm a computer/teck dummy.

[​IMG]

4. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea what they said. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. beauh

beauh Chillin' With My Peeps

But its says 6h , maybe need a camcorder. Do you work for Sd makers???

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    They're not lying (6hr. / 720p): Shoot 1080i/p and get 2 hrs. High def = High bit rate = eat up the space available, pretty quick. [​IMG] http://www.lexar.com/files/product/datasheet/DS_LSDxxxFSBNAHD_Rev_F.pdf If you are trying to `play' from a card reader on an XP machine (not recommended...), in `standard HD' def. you'll run into a 2GB (~2hr) limit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923293 Use a Nikon & Canon with class 10 32GB cards - ~2hr., at highest def., on either.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by