Why drowning should not be part of your predator management plan.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ultasol, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I know there have been people who have advocated placing havahart traps with an animal in them in stock tanks or ponds to drown them. This is legally considered inhumane, and while I didn't think this was enforced, it apparently is:
    http://www.app.com/article/20101119...y-fined-2-500-for-trapping-drowning-squirrels

..so it would be wise to either shoot the animal and end it's life quickly, call a pest management company, call fish and game for recommendations on nhow ton handle the trapped animal, etc.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good! I'm SO GLAD that people can get in trouble for drowning an animal! Thrilled!
    What a cruel way to kill something.

3. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I am too, redhen. I was a little taken aback when I had seen BYC members suggest this method in the past. I was glad to see the article... did you see that it was his wife that turned him in?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yes! Good for her for standing up for whats right!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yes! Good for her for standing up for whats right!

X2

ultasol,
    Do you think it would be a felony here in Wa. with our animal cruelty laws? maybe they just apply to pets.

Imp

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Although I agree that drowning is unpleasant I feel that it is better than a slow death in a spring trap or poison. I have never drowned an animal but see it as a qiuck and clean way of handling a live animal in a trap. Unless you're a good shot you are gonna have to shoot a couple of times to hit it in the right place and then deal with the law when the neighbors call to report you for unlawful discharge of a firearm. Plus the slow bloody death to clean up.
    I think the only mistake this guy made was doing it in his wife's pond and with her knowledge.

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think a single shot to the head is the most humane.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Drowning would not ever be my first choice.

I would say, however, that if i have an angry raccoon in a live trap, i can't think of very many ways to dispose of it. It's illegal to move it somewhere else. and if i get my gun close enough to make sure i don't miss because of the wires in the trap....well anyway. I can see how drowning could seem like the easy solution. Raccoons are scary.

I didn't read your article. I'm just commenting on the general subject.

9. Chicky131

Chicky131 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    I think shooting is better. Think about it. "BANG! Dead." OR "Blub blub blub blub blub!!!! Dead." [​IMG]

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:You need to do a bit more research, then you'll discover that it depends upon the laws of the state the animal was dispatched in.

This is why BYC says that you (the person asking for advise/information) are responsible for determining what is legal to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by