Why Flint Mich is so warm and fuzzy....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Scary.

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    It is shocking how long these things can go on some times...[​IMG]

I will give the authorities one thing, hindsite is 20/20...And it can be difficult to connect the dots sometimes...

Hey at least you are not in Wisconsin where the most, and the sickest serial killers come from...[​IMG]

ON

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    There was an NCIS (I think that was the show...) episode this year for Halloween that was set in Detroit and based on the Devil's night arsons. Hubby and I were laughing because these show writers always set things in Detroit, not because Detroit is the worst, but because the rest of the country doesn't know about Flint. [​IMG]

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Actually, Flint is usually on the Forbes statistics like "Worst City to Find Work" and "Highest Unemployment in a Medium sized City" sort of thing.

DH grew up in Flint, actually went to elementary school with Michael Moore of all people.

I think that Flint should change its nickname from "Buick City" to "As seen on the latest Michael Moore documentary."

Every once in awhile, they make fun of it on the Simpsons.

Milhouse: When can we see a finished box?

Box factory guy: These boxes are assembled in Flint Michigan.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:The crow was also based on Detroit.. with a devils night theme also... But I don't know which is worse, but from miles away, you can see the glow of flames on October 30th every year...

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Oh it is sooo so hard for me to not start making jokes about Detroit and the lower peninsula.

My very own made up joke is: Why is SE Michigan the birth place of the automobile????.....Because the people that lived there were desperate to get away...fast....![​IMG]

Ya know too much time spent in da UP ya? Makes it so I can not help but pick on the trolls below the bridge...[​IMG]

OK I will stop now...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously though I love most of Michigan and it's people... Your not quite as focused on beer and bratwaurst as over in Wisconsin..[​IMG]

ON

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Eastern Michigan has its share of Polacks! We're pretty focused on kielbasa and potato farming. I had a job interview in Kingsford a few years back and as I drove around the area, I thought "Now WHERE am I going to get paczkis?" [​IMG]

You haven't been to Bay City--most bars per capita in the Midwest. Also most antiques stores per capita in the world. It's a fun town, everyone there is either German, Polish, Irish, Italian or Mexican. PARTY TOWN!!!

Acording to my grandfather who still lives in Detroit, said that it's turning into a post-apocalyptic world. On his way to the Pierogi Fest, no less, he saw pheasants, deer and coyotes. On the History Channel series "Life After People" they are basing most of their predictions on what's happening in Detroit!

9. Ferrret

Ferrret Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Flint. Warm and Fuzzy.
    Sorry you can only pick one.

Flint and Detroit have some awesome old homes and architecture from back when they were a good place to raise a family. Sadly a lot of them are in disrepair and might be demolished. A few have been turned into art galleries or restaurants in Detroit. Both cities have programs going on to try and get restore the city scape and neighborhoods.

The Simpsons have made fun of Flint 4 times. The latest one that I have seen was Lisa uncovering an old Readers Digest that had a cover stating 'Flint: The City of the Future!'
    Other references:
    Flint is referenced in a 1994 episode of The Simpsons, "Bart Gets Famous," as Bart Simpson's class visits a box factory. When asked if they will get to see a finished box, the tour guide replies, "Well, we don't assemble them here -- that's done in Flint, Michigan." There are, in fact, "box factories" in Flint. For example, Genesee Packaging has three facilities in the area.
    Flint is also in a 1999 episode of The Simpsons, "They Saved Lisa's Brain", when Flint is number 296 on the list of the 300 most livable cities, surpassing only Ebola, RI, Dawson's Creek, NC, Springfield, and East St. Louis, IL.
    Flint is also in a 2006 episode of The Simpsons, "G.I. (Annoyed Grunt)". When the Army recruiter asks where they can find some "Awesome Kids", Milhouse replies "Flint, Michigan?", a reference to Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by