Why get chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShawnRich, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ShawnRich

ShawnRich Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    I am wanting to get chickens.....obviously,.... since I am here.... (a lot lately...;-) )

I want eggs but don't need too many. I also like the idea of chickens,..... and I like trying new things..... so chickens is the latest crazy idea that my wife is hearing about .......

I am wondering, outside of the cute factor, why get chicks? When I look at pricing, around here, chicks are $3.50 each for qty of 10, after tax. I am only thinking 5 but they say maybe I can add on with someone else's order. Then you feed them for 6 months before you get eggs? So after feeding them for 6 months, it seems more economical to just get egg layers for $9 each....or am I missing something?

I am still researching and will be for some time but this is the latest question. I figure if I want chicks, then I need to order soon.

Another question...for a first timer, should I start with chicks to get a feel for the whole thing ( it buys me time to build a coop too since we have about 3 feet of snow right now!) or is it easier to get adults and put them right into the coop?

A plus of chicks might be.....we have two large dogs and I was thinking that getting them used to (ie not eating) the chickens would be easier if I introduced chicks in my hand to them versus a feisty adult who might peck them....

We will not be able to free range our chickens as there are no fences in my neighbourhood so neighbour's dogs would find out we have free range snacks rather quickly, I am sure. I was thinking that once the chickens could wander around and I knew the dogs were good with them, we could leave them all together in the dog kennel, which is about 400 square feet. It has no roof on it so I would imagine the chickens might fly out...? The fence is only 4 feet high. I noticed all chicken coops are fully enclosed or is that only for predator protection?

Thanks for supporting a great web site. Even if I do not end up with chickens, I am enjoying the web site.

Cheers,

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Chicks don't eat much. They don't really start going through the food bill until week 10. Eat 1/4 pound a day at age 16 week and up. Pullets at point of lay are 15-$20 which is representative of the cost into them.

A $9 bird unless a great deal is likely a hen, nothing wrong with older birds but the best laying year is pullet to first adult molt. They lay less after each annual molt.

With chicks you grow with them learning as you go along. Have time to build a set up for their adulthood and have them trained. They will also train you as to what they really need for a set up which is usually not as much as you think. Food trains any age bird but my birds grown will let me pick them up easily and follow me around like dogs.

1 person likes this.
  3. countrydream7

countrydream7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    i have a ? bought bjg chickens so cute I gave them electrolyte and vitamin supp. do u continue with this all the time or just one dose ..and can u continue all the time if u wanted ..thanks love this site..

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    2 times a week is fine. People supplement new chicks especially shipped then stop until illness or heat in summer. I only supplement when they first hatch to aid in vigor after all that exertion.

5. countrydream7

countrydream7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    thanks this helps me out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by