Why Goats and Dogs Don't Mix (Graphic)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Jan 27, 2009.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    This is Valentine, a Nigerian doe bred here and sold to a lovely couple in Atlanta. She and her half sister, Willow, live in the lap of luxury in a large fenced yard.

They are both horned. (I only mentioned this because so many people think horns will serve as a defense for a goat)

A SMALL dog (about 20-25 lbs) dug under their fence in the night. Here is the damage it did to Valentine (after vet treatment, drains installed, etc):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willow was untouched, but traumatized. Valentine has had to suffer through daily cleaning of her wounds, is on a course of strong antibiotics and pain killers.

Even in the best set up, accidents happen. Please be aware of the dangers and set up your goats for safety!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is terrible, Kate. [​IMG] Poor Valentine.

3. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry to see these pictures. I really dislike when 'dog' attack photos. It bother me to no end(yes I still do look). I don't care who you are...You have a pet...know where it is at all times. Check fences to make sure they can't get out. Check collars, leashes, chains for no weak spots. Be responsable...
    Sorry you goat has to deal with the after effects from someone elses animal. Hope she heals soon and your other goat will become herself again....

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Thats what small dogs that are not around animals can do ...even when they are around them they think its chase and they can do some damage...Sorry about your little girl Kate and I hope the people caught that dog as sometimes they will do this again...

5. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I am sorry to see the damage done and the pain caused by someone's dog. Do they know who the dog belongs to? Did they file a police report?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have to ask..... Have the owners of the dog been notified. Legally they are responsible for all of the poor goat's vet bills.[​IMG]

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

That's horrible! I didn't realize they were soo vulnerable. We are building dog-proof paddocks so we can range the goats and some chickens, and now I'm very glad that was the plan.

8. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you so much for posting this. It serves as a good reminder for those of us with livestock. This can happen to anyone. And we must take responsibility to keep our animals safe. We cannot count on others to keep their dogs confined.

And all dogs are capable of seriously hurting and/or traumatizing our animals. My very own, sweet as pie, 35lbs, pet collie killed two of my goat kids once. You just never know. I had to learn the hard way.

Poor little Valentine.

9. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    That is exactly why I lock my goats in their shed at night. Especially since I saw a darn bobcat. I hope she gets better soon.

10. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    oh so sorry. I hope you know which dog it was and talk to the owners about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by