Why hang feeder off the ground?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mun5, Mar 24, 2017.

1. mun5

mun5 New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Hi

I see that the feeder is often hung off the ground - but why? Why not just use a few bricks and elevate it to the bird's chest height?

Thanks

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes, same difference, either way is fine. If the chicks have to stand on their tippy toes to get the feed, they spill very little....
    [​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It should be at chest height. I hang waterer in the chick brooder. It makes it super easy to adjust the height as the little buggers grow so fast. Since I use fermented feed, I am more apt to elevate their FF on a wood scrap (again, chest height.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I have some of mine hanging and some on chunks of concrete from a sidewalk I tore up. Hanging has the advantage of swaying away if anyone (usually my guineas) start trying to get aggressive about billing or scratching any food out. The sitting ones can also be knocked over when low. I don't keep them topped off except when I go out of town. Constantly full feeders can better support pests as well as make it a bit harder to monitor how much is or isn't being eaten.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The reason they are hung is to keep the Chickens from scratching out the feed.....Mine is hung also...;)

Cheers!

6. Yaychicks

Yaychicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    It's easier to rake or shovel under a hung one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by