Why has she suddenly got red legs???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kylieschooks, Oct 22, 2013.

1. kylieschooks

kylieschooks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    My 8 month old speckeldy has been a bit under the weather last couple of days, and I have noticed she has got pinkish legs with red spots which are under the skin, there is no sores?

What could it be?[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pink in the legs is normal in a fertile young chicken. Red spots can be a sign of avian flu, but more than likely it is probably not that. There are mild strains that hardly cause symptoms, but in a severe stain your chicken would be seriously ill, not just under the weather. I would be an eye on it though.

3. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    Her
    her comb has gone purple colour too???

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The symptoms so far fit for avian influenza. There is a mild type and a more severe type. Hopefully it isn't AI, but I would be cautious in isolating her until I knew what she has. What symptoms does she have at this point, and how does eat and drink? Here is some info to read:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps032

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London

Thanks for the info, I will read your link in a sec. She has been looking a bit sad for a week, feather fluffed up, head in, tail down (although tail up now? Pink/red legs, and he comb going a deep red colour almost purple. She is eating but nothin like she used to, not even bothered about treats. I'm going to isolate her tomorrow, she has been on antibiotics for 5 days, tylan 50 but doesn't much happier, would t say she has got worse though !

Also I have posted another post about my chicken with possible mareks disease, would you mind taking a look and given some advise if you have any.

Thanks

6. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    [​IMG]

Her comb Is still red here but this is her looking sad

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she having diarrhea or any blood streaks in it? She has many symptoms of coccidosis, but diarrhea is something that is present. Was the Tylan for general treatment or for respiratory symptoms?

8. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    She hasn't got any diarreah symptoms, and I gave her tylan 50 just for general purposes. She still seems the same today, not worse but not better?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check to see that her crop is emptying by morning. Sour crop or impacted crop would affect her appetite and well being.

10. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    This bird is STILL poorly :-( she has got worse, just stands still asleep allday. I noticed that when she scurrys away from me she is tripping over where she is so weak. She can even jump on the log that's in the run :-(. I've got her in a box in the house tonight, probably going to ring the vets tomorrow ask them to put her down and see if they can tell me what was wrong with her, if she survives the night :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by