Why hasn't my hen molted yet?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarkerChickens, Jan 30, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have 6 hens...~1.5 yrs old. All of my EEs and 2 of my BRs have all molted and have already started laying again. Then there is Dot, my other BR. About a month ago she got Sour Crop (she's all better!) and while she was in the house she started molting on her chest. Well, the pin feathers are all just about grown in, but she hasn't lost anymore! She is acting like she is in a molt (lethargic, not eating as much...exactly the same as all the other girls did), but she still has all of her ugly broken feathers on her back and tail (or what's left of it!)! I don't think she is sick, but it seems her molt is "stuck". It is nearly February and she STILL hasn't fully molted! Most of my girls were done by November...maybe the beginning of December!

Oh...could weather affect it? We've had an exceptionally warm January (been averaging high 60s during the day and mid-high 30s at night...occasionally at freezing).

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She could just be a slow molter. 18 months is usual time for a full molt, but she could just be taking her time.

3. debilorrah

Quote:HESPERIA????????????????? I live in Apple Valley, off Navajo and BV - I work at Victor Valley Transit!!!!!!!!!!! HOWDY NEIGHBOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It took my rooster 8 months to fully molt.His tail feathers looked like spikes.When he molted them, it took him forever to grow his sickle feathers back.Now his tail is long and very nice looking.

5. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    HESPERIA????????????????? I live in Apple Valley, off Navajo and BV - I work at Victor Valley Transit!!!!!!!!!!! HOWDY NEIGHBOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're darn near spittin' distance from each other! Well, compared to most folks on here anyway! [​IMG] We live near Cottonwood and Ranchero!​

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I hope she is just being a a slow molter. All of our hens got skinny when they molted (but still eat, drink, and run around like normal). I just worry about her...just being a typical, worrying chicken mom! [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

Quote:We're darn near spittin' distance from each other! Well, compared to most folks on here anyway! [​IMG] We live near Cottonwood and Ranchero!

Wow that is really something!! I work off I and BV. I met one other person close to us here and she lives in Lucerne. Well we haven't met yet, but hope to soon. I didn't know you could have chickens in Hesperia. We are only allowed 5 but have 17 SHHHHH.

8. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Wow that is really something!! I work off I and BV. I met one other person close to us here and she lives in Lucerne. Well we haven't met yet, but hope to soon. I didn't know you could have chickens in Hesperia. We are only allowed 5 but have 17 SHHHHH.

I am doing my thesis research in Lucerne Valley! I am hoping to be able to work for the Mojave Water Agency after I finish my Master's degree. Meanwhile, my FH and I commute down the hill. I never noticed anyone on here before that lives even remotely close to us. Nearest I think I saw before was Norco or something. We have a larger lot (~1/2 acre) and we are allowed 2 chickens per 3500 sq. ft. of property, which allows us 10 hens (except the city told us 12 in person! [​IMG]). I would love 17 hens, but there are only two of us in the house. Who'd eat all those eggs? HA HA We'd need an egg stand out front. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

We do eat the eggs. I have my fiance Ken and our two boys.... Three men can go through alot of eggs. :) I too have never come across anyone here in the Valley!!! It was a prurise to me to realize we had that many chickens too. We have to stop, but those chicks are SOOO CUTE!

10. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Our dogs try to help us with the eggs! They are spoiled and get an egg in their food when we have too many to keep up with! We plan on getting more this summer though. Maybe another 4 or 6 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by